Work to restore the baroque building, built by the Bolongaro brothers in 1770, is currently in full swing. Recently completed work includes drilling deep bore foundations for three passenger lifts and for the floor slab of the newly created events space, as well as an open-bore footing for the kitchen’s small goods lift. Now work to the structural shell is progressing apace. Roof renovation work is also advancing with the tower roof, the upper roofs of the central building, and the corner buildings all almost complete. Additionally there is a lot of activity going on in the interior of the building with the creation of new doors and openings and the demolition of existing walls in favour of larger, or original cross-sections. Naturally, with a building of this age, the team of schneider+schumacher and Rimpl+Flacht are constantly facing new challenges, which they take on with great bravado.
In some cases, spatial uses are being redefined, with plans for a new museum, a prestigious event space, and gastronomy facilities as well as amenities for children and young adults. Together with the Town Mayor’s office, which will remain located in the building, the plan creates a coherent overall concept.